Thursday, April 22, 2010

Birthing class tonight

Morgan and I are taking a natural child birth class tonight at Martin Army Community Hospital on Fort Benning.

Before you say, "But Lily, I thought you were getting an epidural," I want to add that this class is free (unlike Bradley Method courses which run $200 for 12 sessions) and I am still planning on getting an epidural if the pain is just too intense to bear, which I expect it will be.

Primarily I want to learn some relaxation and non-medicated pain management methods that I can begin to practice in anticipation of the big day.

Any advice from moms out there? Dads can weigh in too! Morgan's gonna need all the help he can get I'm sure.

3 comments:

  1. Most hospitals will let you pre-register with anesthesiology about 1 month b4 your due date. Some Drs forget to mention that if you have some sort of pain management besides the epidural you have to wait for it to completely wear off to sign the papers for the epidural, but if you pre-register you don't have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you & Morgan will be going into labor prepared and educated about childbirth. You will certainly find the classes interesting and useful. Hold onto this thought, the techniques you learn will definitely help with your comfort level during labor. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Here's what my best friend's mom, Lisa Cappuccilli, had to say about the decision to go natural or get an epidural:

    "Lily, the best advice I can give you is to be very flexible, see how it goes. So many women change their mind once they are actually going thru it. There is NO WAY TO EVEN imagine what it will be like. Believe me, you WILL KNOW if and when you want an epidural.....don't worry about the pain, you can always have something for it......just play it by ear!"

    Lisa has worked for years in labor and delivery. Her opinion means a lot to me. I guess I'll make the final determination when I'm at the hospital!

    ReplyDelete