Wednesday, April 7, 2010

20-week checkup

Today I'm scheduled for an ultrasound and visit with midwife Julie at 3 p.m. I can't wait to see how Ellie looks. Supposedly she'll be a lot plumper then she was at week 15 when we last saw her on ultrasound at Babywaves.

Among the questions I plan to ask Julie is if it's OK to take allergy medicine. The pollen levels down here are incredible. Literally everything is coated with a fine layer of yellow dust. It's really taking its toll on me.

On another subject, I wanted to share with everyone a link to a store called The Land of Nod. It's a childrens' off-shoot of Crate and Barrel. Lately I've been looking around for some cute bedding, paint color ideas and art work for the nursery and I think I found what I've been looking for on that site.

After speaking with my mom about the various goodies I found there she reminded me of the poem, "The Land of Nod," by Robert Louis Stevenson. Undoubtedly that's where the store got its name. I wonder if that's legal.

Anyway, it was one of her favorite poems growing up and she said she used to read it to Emily, Ben and me when we were little. I certainly remember the story of "
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod," by Eugene Field:


And in honor of my mom, here's "The Land of Nod":

The Land of Nod
By Robert Louis Stevenson

From Breakfast on through all the day
At home among my friends I stay,
But every night I go abroad
Afar into the land of Nod.

All by myself I have to go,
With none to tell me what to do--
All alone beside the streams
And up the mountain-sides of dreams.

The strangest things are there for me,
Both things to eat and things to see,
And many frightening sights abroad
Till morning in the land of Nod.

Try as I like to find the way,
I never can get back by day,
Nor can remember plain and clear
The curious music that I hear.

Happy Wednesday.

xoxoL

No comments:

Post a Comment