Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Headaches and hiccups

Since the second I found out I was pregnant, I've had a series of nagging headaches that are so bad sometimes they make me feel nauseous and dizzy.

I've heard that headaches during the first trimester are normal. Some sources say you get them because your body is producing more blood. Others say it's a hormone thing.

Whatever it is, I wish it would stop. I do take Extra Strength Tylenol when it gets unbearable. Don't worry, Tylenol is on my list of approved drugs.

As for another symptom that's just popping up: Hiccups. They come and go pretty quickly so I'm not too annoyed by them, yet.

I recently read in one of my many baby books (thanks Lillie and Gregg) that at this point in my pregnancy, the baby is capable of swallowing and hiccuping. Maybe he/she is just letting me in on the fun.

Now officially in my 12th week, I feel I should be telling more people about the baby, but I'm just not quite ready to break the news to the bosses at work. I don't know why. Perhaps it's because under normal circumstances I try not to get too personal with them and this is a very personal experience.

My second appointment with midwife Julie is Wednesday so come back to the blog tomorrow for an updated ultrasound and maybe even some video if the technician allows our HD Cam in the room.

By the way, my tummy is totally rounding out. Mer, you'll be able to take a peak this weekend when Morgan and I come for a visit. At this point, my baby is the size of a large plum. Looking at me in a tight pair of jeans or a bathing suit, you can tell there's something going on in there. As soon as I get up the nerve, I'll post a belly picture here. Be patient, though. I'm self conscious about my middle right now.

Speaking to my pregnant friend, Rebecca, at a Super Bowl party Sunday we both agreed that we just feel fat at this point. Oddly enough, hearing her say that makes me feel better because she is a very slim girl.

It's not just my belly that's growing either. My hips and thighs have gotten noticeably bigger. Argh! Soon I fear I'll be shopping for maternity clothes. Today I'm wearing a dark pair of jeans and a black, flowing shirt that covers everything from my neck down to my hips.

Maybe it's time I start reading about and shopping for pregnancy fashion.

It's definitely time for Morgan and I to take a look at and sign up for some parenting/birthing classes. We're actually really looking forward to them. I'll let you guys know what we decide to take when we do our research.

Third trimester...here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Hey LIL,

    Sometimes I get hiccups and headaches too. Well, hiccups at night and headaches in the morning ... usually after the bar ... might I be pregnant? Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear SAR,

    You are pregnant. That's my diagnosis. No need to see a doctor. My assessment is worth its weight in gold.

    That is all.

    Goodbye.

    ReplyDelete