Monday, June 7, 2010

Braxton Hicks

Braxton Hicks contractions are the body's way of preparing for labor.

At least that's what I've been reading.

Though I haven't had too many of these suckers during my pregnancy (I really only felt my first one about two weeks ago) they have been coming more frequently as of late.

Midwife Julie says if I feel than six of them in an hour I should call her straight away. That hasn't happened, thank goodness.

To me, Braxton Hicks' feel like a mild period pain. My stomach gets rock hard to the touch and there's just a slight discomfort.

Honestly, I kind of like them. Sshh, don't tell M because he gets all worried and cute and sympathetic when I'm having one. My favorite thing about them is they are telling me that I am normal, my body is doing what it should be and that my sweet angel will be making her appearance soon.

While the latter part scares the bajesus out of me (I've developed an anxiety about labor and delivery), I know that beautiful, joyous things await M and I when it's over.

So, I'll let everyone know as soon as my practice contractions turn into the real thing. I'm in week 29 now so it won't be too much longer.

xoxoL

No comments:

Post a Comment