Friday, March 12, 2010

16 Week appointment

Morgan and I visited midwife Julie yesterday for my 16 week appointment.

It really wasn't too eventful. First I had some blood drawn. I hated it as always. Then a nurse weighed me. I'm 127 pounds so I've gained a total of six pounds in about four months. That's normal I'm told. By the way, when I hit 130 I'm buying myself an ice cream cake...after I hit the gym and maybe shed a tear or two.

Back to my appointment: After all the poking and prodding and weighing I sat down with Julie to ask her some questions. Morgan and I wanted to know whether she recommended I get the H1N1 vaccine. She said she didn't recommend it, but she suggested we do some research and make our own decision. We're still considering. Does anyone have an insight about this?

Next, we asked her about a Dave Matthews show I want to go to this summer. I was pleased to hear that a loud show in the middle of the Georgia summer won't hurt me or the baby. DMB here we come Jessie!

I also asked Julie how tight is too tight when it comes to pants because mine are fitting mighty snug these days. She (and my preggo friend in crime, Rebecca Paull) suggested I buy a belly band. Morgan and I went post haste to the nearest maternity store to buy two. I'm wearing one now. Heaven!

Thursday's appointment wrapped up with us all listening to little Ellie's heart beat. It's going at about 157 beats per minute. Very good, according to Julie. We were so happy to hear her.

The next time I see Julie will be in four weeks. I can't believe I'll be 20 weeks by then!

Here's what Fit Pregnancy says about my baby at week 17:

Your baby is about as wide as your palm, about six inches tall, and weighs about four ounces—about as much as a bar of soap. She now weighs more than your placenta. Your baby is now covered with a downy layer of lanugo, which swirls in fingerprint-like formation over her whole body. Her skin is still thin. Brown fat, a special type of fat that plays a role in body heat generation, is being deposited. In the next few weeks, your baby's eyes will begin to move beneath their fused lids in a side-to-side sweeping motion.

xoxoL

P.S. I know I promised a belly picture. It's coming. I swear.

2 comments:

  1. My teeny, tiny blurb about any vaccine is to make sure it doesn't contain the preservative Thimerosal, which is a derivative of mercury. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alexis. I'm going to write that down.

    ReplyDelete