Monday, July 19, 2010

The story of our glider

I just have to share the story of the great deal I got on our nursery glider yesterday.

A nursery glider is a hybrid of the classic rocking chair and the porch glider. It smoothly glides back and forth on a track and is usually covered with soft padding and fabric. The nursery glider specifically is used in nurseries to lull babies to sleep and to keep them as well as moms and dads comfy during feedings.

So, I went to Babies R Us yesterday and sat in a bunch of gliders. These things range in price from about $200 into the thousands of dollars! The one I liked (and that was within the imaginary budget I had in my head) was $299, but the floor colors were just awful. I asked the saleswoman to check on the store's Web site to see if other colors in the make and model I liked were available. She found this one.

Because all of our nursery furniture is white and because I suspect we'll have this glider for our next baby, I thought a white wood glider with a gender neutral fabric color would work perfectly.

The delivery cost was a whopping $100 so I asked the saleswoman what she could do for me. She said she'd have the glider delivered to the store and the store would deliver it to our home at no extra cost. She then fished out a $75 off coupon, bringing the cost of the glider down to $224.

Finally, I had six gift cards given to me over two baby showers that I wanted to apply to this one purchase. Apparently, the Babies R Us site doesn't let you use more than five gift cards on one purchase so the super nice saleswoman combined two cards into one and used all of them.

The total I had to pay for my almost $300 glider? Just under $60! I was so giddy.

The lady who sold me the glider was so sweet and so helpful. She could have easily told me there was nothing she could do about the shipping cost or decided she didn't want to go the extra mile and combine those gift cards for me. She certainly didn't have to find a coupon for me to use. But she did all of that and I'm so thankful for it.

This experience made my day!

2 comments:

  1. I like the glider a lot! I plan to take a sit in it when I come visit you guys =-) maybe rock Dave to sleep, I'm sure he'll be feeling neglected at that point haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Mer. Poor Dave. He's going to be even more sad when we explain to him that he's not allowed in the baby's room because of the light-color carpet. You can drag the glider into the den and rock him there. Orrr, you can just rock your niece to sleep.

    ReplyDelete